Radio Éireann was the forerunner of what we now know as RTÉ Radio 1. Up to December 29th, 1937 it was known as Radio Athlone, the location of it’s main transmitter.
Radio Athlone was officially opened on February 6th 1933 by Eamon De Valera. Originally on 413m, it later moved to 513m. The 2RN transmitter in Dublin was turned off when Radio Athlone was launched.
Broadcast studios were based in the GPO on O’Connell Street in the heart of Dublin.
FM broadcasting was introduced in 1966.
They started their migration to the new radio centre at Montrose Studios, Donnybrook in September 1973 and the move was complete in 1976.