RTÉ Radio 2

2FM (non) shuffle

2FM’s much-hyped reshuffle starts on Monday and – hey – they’ve got a new logo! That’s about it really.

2FM's much-hyped reshuffle starts on Monday and - hey - they've got a new logo! That's about it really.

The ‘new’ schedule looks like this: 6am Ruth Scott….7am Damien McCaul….9am Gerry Ryan (big change!)…12 Larry Gogan, whose shirts are annoying even on radio! Hasn’t Larry been in this time-slot broadcasting to the dinosaurs? Yep, it’s major reshuffle time at 2FM…2pm new time (sic) for Gareth O’Callaghan…hope he settles in!…5pm Tony Fenton (“On the Radio” it says here – thanks for clearing that up guys)…7pm Dusty Rhodes….9pm Dave Fanning…11pm Uaneen Fitzsimons…2am World Web Radio……it’s going to take us an age to get used to these changes!

2FM site relaunch

2FM’S relaunch was allegedly pre-empted by a hacked attack on their site which has now also been relaunched. A new fresh sound (it says here) but has anybody else noticed the similarity between 2FM’s new jingle package and that of BBC Radio 1’s?

2FM changes

2FM have filled the slot left vacant by the tragic death of Uaneen Fitzsimons last year, Mark Johnson reports. Mark McCabe will be on air from 11am until midnight followed by Ruth Scott until 2am.

Ryan for Today?

2FM presenter Gerry Ryan is considering a move to the station’s main rivals Today FM. That’s according to today’s Star newspaper. RTÉ radio boss Helen Shaw has described the likelihood of Ryan leaving as ‘highly improbable’.

Tone quits 2FM

One of the top radio personalities in the country has shocked 2FM by handing in his notice. Tony Fenton, whose Drivetime show is the second highest rated in Ireland, will present his last show on the station on March 6th.
Tony has been with RTÉ’s national pop station for 18 years and is leaving with the blessing of station head John Clarke, with whom he also shares a pirate radio past.
In an interview with the Sunday World, Tony confirms that he’s had a couple of radio offers, one from inside Ireland, the other from outside the country.
“I need a fresh challenge. The two offers have really excited me,” he said. “I feel now is the time to leave 2FM while I’m still on top.”
Another 2FM presenter, Dusty Rhodes , had already announced that he was quitting his ‘Most Wanted’ programme in the summer to concentrate on other business interests.


Sunday World – February 23rd 2003

 One of the top radio personalities in the country has shocked 2FM by handing in his notice. Tony Fenton, whose Drivetime show is the second highest rated in Ireland, will present his last show on the station on March 6th.
Tony has been with RTÉ's national pop station for 18 years and is leaving with the blessing of station head John Clarke, with whom he also shares a pirate radio past.
In an interview with the Sunday World, Tony confirms that he's had a couple of radio offers, one from inside Ireland, the other from outside the country.
"I need a fresh challenge. The two offers have really excited me," he said. "I feel now is the time to leave 2FM while I'm still on top."
Another 2FM presenter, Dusty Rhodes , had already announced that he was quitting his 'Most Wanted' programme in the summer to concentrate on other business interests.

2FM announce AM closure

Medium wave transmission of RTÉ 2FM is set to close on Monday. This is according to engineering announcements which are interrupting the station’s medium wave service every hour advising of the impending closure. The announcements are being aired on both of the two remaining 2FM medium wave transmitters – 612kHz from the historic Athlone transmitter site, and the low-powered Cork transmitter on 1278kHz. The transmitter serving Dublin on 1278kHz was closed last December.

Report: 021

2 for Dave

Dave Redmond is joining RTÉ 2FM to present their early morning breakfast show. Dave presently works the afternoons for Dublin station Q102 having moved there from Wexford’s South East Radio. He moved to the south-east following a spell with East Coast FM in Wicklow. Dave will be linking up with his new colleagues in the coming weeks.

Today’s Newspapers: February 8th 2007

Irish Independent – Bell tolls for 2FM breakfast show name

RTE has been forced to drop the words ‘Alarm Clock’ from its new 2FM breakfast programme after controversially poaching hit show the ‘Strawberry Alarm Clock’ from FM104. It is understood that FM104 sent legal correspondence to RTE informing the broadcaster that the Strawberry Alarm Clock is trademarked.

FM104 also expressed concern that several elements of the Strawberry Alarm Clock were being used in the new 2FM show and that intellectual property was being copied.

RTE confirmed the new show was no longer being called the ‘2FM Alarm Clock’. It will now be named the Colm and Jim Jim Breakfast Show with 2FM.

FM104 chief executive Tim Fenn said last night: “The Strawberry Alarm Clock continues to broadcast on FM104 and intends to do so in the future. We’ve changed presenters in the past, and it will continue to be exactly the same exciting unpredictable, successful show it has always been.”

Samantha McCaughren

The Sun – Whelan: I was hurt by RTÉ axe

The Irish Times – R na G criticised for ending news show

R na G criticised for ending news show
Lorna Siggins, Western Correspondent

Fine Gael and Labour TDs in Galway have expressed concern over Raidió na Gaeltachta’s decision to drop a key current affairs programme from its schedule four months before the general election.

Fine Gael TD for Galway West Pádraic McCormack has questioned whether there was a “political” reason for the decision to drop Cúrsaí an Lae, as he was aware that a complaint about the programme had been sent to the radio station last year by Fianna Fáil MEP Seán Ó Neachtain.

The final programme in the series was broadcast last Friday.

Mr Ó Neachtain wrote to Raidió na Gaeltachta’s ceannaire, Edel Ní Chuireáin, on October 31st last on European Parliament notepaper in relation to the programme’s coverage of a controversy over a proposed childcare facility at Coláiste Chonnacht in Spiddal, Co Galway.

Mr Ó Neachtain is a trustee of the campus of Coláiste Chonnacht, which hosts Irish-language summer colleges.

Mr McCormack and fellow Galway West TD Michael D. Higgins (Lab) have criticised Mr Ó Neachtain’s use of headed notepaper for a complaint about a personal matter. Mr Higgins said that Mr Ó Neachtain could have made his complaint through the normal channels via the Broadcasting Complaints Commission.

Mr McCormack said it was “very regrettable” that a programme with the second-highest listenership on Raidió na Gaeltachta should be taken off the air in the run-up to the election.

Seán Ó Coistealbha, chairman of Comhairle Pobail an Spidéil (Spiddal Community Council), also criticised the use of official stationery by the MEP.

Mr Ó Neachtain defended the use of European Parliament notepaper. He told The Irish Times that he was referred to as an MEP on the programme in question, and wrote in on this basis to the station.

A spokeswoman for Raidió na Gaeltachta said that there was no connection between the programme change and Mr Ó Neachtain’s complaint. The editorial decision relating to Cúrsaí an Lae and two other Raidió na Gaeltachta programmes dated back to February 2006, following a detailed resource analysis.

A decision on all three programmes was taken in July 2006 and staff had been informed last November. Six new programmes had been announced last month, she said.

The spokeswoman also defended Raidió na Gaeltachta’s decision to inform all staff journalists that they must not contribute to other media and publications before the general election. This was to ensure impartial coverage, she said.

The decision has been criticised by the Irish-language newspaper, Lá, which said it is lodging a complaint with the Competition Authority. The newspaper has questioned why the same directive does not apply to journalists working for RTÉ.

© The Irish Times

Evening Herald – FM104 loses top DJs but wins brand